Kindle conversion serviceFor a small fee of £5 (or $10) we’ll convert your inklewriter story into an ebook file, that can be read on your Kindle, or sold through Amazon. The ebook reads like a normal Kindle ebook, except that choices are included using hyperlinks. All your story logic – counters, markers, if conditions, joins – will be preserved. The ebook includes a page of instructions for your reader on how to use it; as well as a blank page where you can insert your own opening quote, dedication, or introduction to your story, if you want to.
Try an example story!Here’s an example: The Intercept, a short story about WWII code-breakers.
How does it work?
It couldn’t be simpler. Here’s what you need to do:
1. Write a story using inklewriter. Make it as good as you can. Get your friends to proofread it for you.
2. Create a cover. This should fit with Amazon’s guidelines which basically means a JPEG file that 1000 pixels tall by 625 pixels wide, or larger, but in the same ratio. They also recommend using colour, but making sure it still looks good in grayscale. Please make sure you own the copyright to images you use, or they’re freely available. (Wikimedia Commons is a great source of rights-free images.)
3. When you’re happy with it, open up an email to email@example.com. Send us:
- the share link of your story
- the genre
- the cover
- An opening quote, dedication, or introduction page, if you want one. (And if you want to include formatting, please use simple HTML only!)
- the language you’re writing in
And please send your email from the email account you signed up with!
4. We’ll check that everything’s okay. If it is, we’ll ask for payment via PayPal and send you your Kindle file.
5. Once received, you can upload to Amazon’s self-publishing scheme and sell it; or copy the file onto your Kindle over USB… whatever you want.
6. If anything’s goes wrong – just get in touch, and we’ll do our best to fix it for you.
A few caveats
- It’s your story, and your Kindle file. Give it away, publish it, share it, charge for it – whatever you like. All we ask is that the legal line “created using inklewriter” remains.
- Make sure you own the copyright to everything you submit to us. Any infringement of copyright will be your responsibility, and not ours.
- If your story is super-super long and complicated, we might not be able to do the conversion — we’d have to check first. So if you think your story is too massive, drop us a quick email and we’ll check first. (By long, we’re talking about things with more than 500 paragraphs, say, and that uses lots of flags and counters).
- Please don’t include any loops that go around forever in your story. Loops are okay, but they have to use conditionals to reach a definite end at some point. If the reader can keep seeing the same paragraph over and over forver… then our poor converter will get stuck in a loop, and you won’t get a book. If in doubt, avoid loops completely!