Press Kit - inkle
Press contact: Emily Morganti - [email protected]
founded : November, 2011
location : Cambridge, United Kingdom
founders : Jon Ingold and Joseph Humfrey
contact : [email protected]
inkle is an independent narrative game company, founded in 2011 by two Cambridge game developers with a passion for storytelling and beautiful design.
- November, 2011 - inkle founded
- April 26th, 2012 - Frankenstein, inkle's first iOS app, released. Written by Dave Morris and published by Profile Books
- May 30th, 2012 - inklewriter released
- April 4th, 2013 - Poems by Heart, an app developed for Penguin Classics, released during National Poetry Month
- May 2nd, 2013 - Sorcery! Part 1: The Shamutanti Hills released
- November 7th, 2013 - Sorcery! Part 2: Kharé: Cityport of Traps released
- March 12th, 2014 - Sorcery! Part 1 released on Android
- June 10th, 2014 - Sorcery! Part 2 release on Android
- July 31st, 2014 - 80 Days released for iOS.
- December 16th, 2014 - 80 Days released on Google Play and Amazon App Store. Content update for both iOS and Android released that includes new journeys, including a dangerous trip to the North Pole.
- April 23rd, 2015 - Sorcery! Part 3: The Seven Serpents released simultaneously for iOS and Android
- September 29th, 2015 - 80 Days released for Mac and Windows.
- January 14th, 2016 - Sorcery! Parts 1 & 2 released for Mac and PC on Steam.
- March 11th, 2016 - ink engine for narrative scripting goes open source.
- April 5th, 2016 - Sorcery! Part 3 released for Mac and PC on Steam.
- September 22nd, 2016 - Sorcery! Part 4 released for mobile and desktop simultaneously.
- More exciting news coming soon!
Joe's core duties at inkle involve a combination of visual design and programming, allowing a synergy between the two disciplines that is rare in the industry.
Before co-founding inkle, he worked for six years in the console videogame industry working on every platform from Nintendo DS to Playstation Move and Xbox Kinect in a career at Rare and Sony.
When he's not designing and coding on inkle's latest and greatest project, Joe feeds his obsession by tinkering with all things Apple. He enjoys listening to an eclectic variety of music, and trying in vain to find mountains in Cambridgeshire to walk up.
Jon's focus is on content, working from the initial outline, through the development of the authoring tools, to the writing and scripting of final content.
Previously, Jon was a lead designer at Sony Computer Entertainment Europe, and before that a secondary school teacher, so he loves to talk. He's a published author of short stories and over a decade's worth of award-winning interactive fiction.
In the past he has also played jazz trombone, led an improvised comedy troupe and edited a film review site, but he now lives a quiet life in Cambridge with his wife, daughter and cat.
Gamasutra: "The Top 10 Game Developers of 2014"
Pocket Tactics "Creator of the year 2014"
TIME Magazine's Game of the Year 2014: 80 Days
IGF Winner: Best in Narrative
BAFTA nominations: Four for 80 Days
See the 80 Days press page for more awards.