The powerful scripting language behind Heaven's Vault, 80 Days and Sorcery!
Every one of our games has had one piece of technology that has remained constant, a bedrock that has enabled us to write literally millions of words of highly branching narrative: our scripting language, ink.
If you're new to ink, why not download Inky and follow our writing tutorial, which guides you through the features and syntax, step by step. Start with the most basic "Hello world" example, and eventually become a master of knots, stitches, weaves, tunnels and threads.Writing Tutorial
Write, test and export your ink stories all in one app.Download
ink - the language
- Markup, not programming: Text comes first, code and logic are inserted within.
- Simple, elegant syntax: Why not get a taste in the writing tutorial?
- Proven: literally millions of words of content have been written for our own games.
- Easy to learn, but with powerful constructs for more advanced scripting.
- Conceived as middleware: a narrative engine designed to slot into a game engine.
Inky - the editor
- Play as you write: The play pane automatically refreshes and reloads the choices you made.
- Error highlighting, as-you-type.
- Jump to definition: alt-click on a divert (they're like hyperlinks in ink) to jump to the target.
- Export to JSON, ink's intermediate compiled format.
- Export to web: Generates a page like this one, ready to be customised.
The plugin provides you with everything you need to get started with ink in Unity. It automatically recompiles ink files as you edit them, and even comes with a simple previewer that lets you play stories directly within the Editor, without writing a line of code.Download on the AssetStore Download from GitHub View plugin on Github
ink, inky, and the ink-unity integration plugin are freely available under the MIT license - we hope that other developers make use of them in their own projects! We'd also welcome contributions such as bug fixes or other code improvements - just submit a pull request.Ink Inky Ink-Unity integration
The Intercept is a game we built to demonstrate how you might build an entire simple game with ink and Unity. See how we like to structure our own ink files, and how easy it is to use the Unity plugin within a real game. We built the game in a couple days for a game jam!The Intercept Read ink script View full source
We are using the Github Issues page from the main source repository as both a discussion forum and for the usual bug reporting. Feel free to drop by and ask a question, either about how to write ink, the Unity integration, or anything else we might've missed! We also have a Discord server with an #ink channel.Ask on Github Issues Ask on Discord
Your game here?
We'd love to hear from other developers making use of ink. Let us know if you do, so that we can include a link to it on this page.Drop us an email
ink is the product of years of thought, design, development and testing. If ink has proved useful to you, please consider making a donation to help us continue to develop the tool. Thank you!